1870: The Anglican Church began caring for single women and mothers in Brisbane, establishing The Brisbane Female Refuge in Ann Street.
1893: St Mary's Home was established at West End, and relocated to Toowong the following year.
1895: The Church established Tufnell Home for Children at Nundah on Brisbane's north side.
1901: The Tufnell Home at Nundah was expanded.
1904: Dismayed by the mortality rates of children and their mothers, the women of Christ Church Parish at Milton took action and appointed a nurse to care for the sick. Sister Packer started on a six month trial, using her own bicycle to ride from client to client around Milton.
1909: The high demand for services of the district nurse led to the formation of the Mothers' Union District Nursing Association under the oversight of a Committee of Management.
1910: Matron Cooper and her nurses moved into 'Avondale', an attractive wooden cottage at 430 Upper Roma Street with its own telephone line (Brisbane 2691). This became the Mothers' Union District Nursing Association (DNA) headquarters for the next eighteen years.
1913: Increasing demand for services led to the lease of another Roma Street property’ ‘Craigie-Lea’’ which was converted into a small maternity hospital.
1919: The global Spanish flu epidemic reached Brisbane and the demand for the Mothers’ Union DNA was higher than ever. The nurses became known as ‘the angels of mercy’ in this period. St Mary's Home was relocated from West End to Taringa.
1922: The Brisbane City Council commissioned the Mothers' Union District Nursing Association to visit and nurse free of charge, persons in a "destitute condition" recommended by council officers.
1928: The Brisbane Courier newspaper organised an appeal to its readers which raised £192/10/7, saving financial disaster and prompting many other sizeable donations from organisations and businesses.
1931: A total of 11,543 visits to the sick were made this year. In one day, a nurse travelled in thirteen trams, two trains and two buses, carrying a heavy bag of instruments and dressing trays from house to house. Such a large workload led to the formation of the Lady Goodwin Nurses' Transport Corps, comprised of thirty young women who volunteered their time and vehicles to drive the nurses around, saving £100 in fares in one year alone.
1932: St John's Home for Aged Men established at Toowong.
1937: Change of name: the Mothers' Union District Nursing Association was shortened to become simply the District Nursing Association (DNA).
1941: DNA Matron McElnea was called up for war service.
1942: Lieutenant McElnea was captured by the Japanese whilst escaping from Singapore and suffered three years’ privation as a prisoner-of-war.
1943: The Courier-Mail ran an appeal for volunteers to help with the cooking and cleaning for the DNA's nurses, to keep them free to care for the sick. The DNA's original nurse, Emma Jane Packer, volunteered once a month as a cook and helped answer telephones. The Association's President sent her car and chauffeur every Friday to help with transporting the nurses.
1950: Neilson Home for Aged Women was established at Chelmer in Brisbane.
1955: The DNA purchased a new Sunbeam Hillman motor vehicle for £779, thanks to donations by Farsley Motors and the Qld government, bringing the 'fleet' to three, including a Vanguard and Volkswagen.
1960: St John's Home at Toowong was rebuilt.
1961: Symes Thorpe Home for the Aged opened in Toowoomba.The Courier-Mail donated £5,910/6/0 - which enabled the DNA to trade-in and replace four of its five cars.
1963: E. M. Tooth Memorial Home for the Aged opened at Manly overlooking Moreton Bay.
1968: The DNA became St Luke's Nursing Service and became an outreach of the Anglican Church officially.
1973: The Federal Government introduced the domiciliary care benefit, which led to a sharp increase in demand for St Luke's Nursing Services.
1976: The Anglican Women's Hostel established in New Farm. Board of Diocesan Mission and Service (Mission & Service Fund) formed, and the Social Welfare Committee set up, the latter responsible for homes for aged persons, children, homeless women and single mothers as well as emergency relief for those in need.
1978: Anglican Social Welfare Department begun.
1980: St Luke's new headquarters block in Milton was officially opened by Lady Ramsay, wife of the Governor of Queensland.
1982: St Martin's Nursing Home opened in May at Taigum on Brisbane's Northside.
1983: ABRI Home for the Aged opened at Southport. The Anglican Refugee & Migrant Service (ARMS) began as a refugee support outreach of the congregation of St John's Cathedral. Kinections, formerly known as Anglican Family Care, opens its doors.
1984: Director of Nursing, Val Gibbs, became the first Queensland AIDS Council educator. She and a team of St Luke's nurses began education programs which helped to change public perceptions of the disease.
1986: St Luke's was the only community nursing service willing to provide specialist care for people living with HIV/AIDS, even before government funding became available. With the full support of the Anglican Church and the endorsement of Archbishop Grindrod, an Anglican AIDS Taskforce was established.
St Luke's Cleveland (now known as Bayside) and Zillmere branches opened.
1987: Anglican Care of the Aged established as an entity in its own right.
1988: Tufnell Child Care Centre opened in February.
1990: Tufnell House renamed TRACC (Tufnell Residential And Child Care) Springwood Residential.
1991: TRACC South was begun as a result of the closing of Tufnell House. Kirami Aged Care Home opens in Point Vernon, Hervey Bay
1992: Operation Kinder Community (OKC) began providing services to families in the Riverview/Goodna area. Anglican social welfare programs in Queensland came under the umbrella name of Anglicare. Student accommodation offered at Tufnell Lodge.
1993: OKC was officially incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act. St Luke's Logan City branch opened.
1994: Anglicare Western Region was established.
1996: Meilene Aged Care Home opened in Bundaberg
1997: TRACC Regents Park was formed to care for a sibling group.
1998: St Luke's Nursing Service opened branches in Roma, Townsville and Buderim and launched the Illicit Drugs Program (later renamed AMEND – assisting mothers end the need for drugs).
OKC was formally aligned with Anglicare Tufnell Welfare Services.
1999: St Luke's respite centre opened at Robina on the Gold Coast.
In-Sync (In Supporting Young people in the Community, its name suggested by the youth in the area) began in the Redlands district. Beenleigh Youth Accommodation And Support Service began in the Beenleigh district.
2000: St Luke's Volunteer Program started.
Homeless Project began operating in Brisbane South, Brisbane North and Townsville branches.
2002-2003: Anglicare Age Advantage offered employment services to the Gold Coast's mature-aged unemployed.
St Luke's Longreach sub-branch was opened. Anglicare Age Advantage was renamed Jobcare and opened an office in Fortitude Valley offering services to the mature aged, disabled or long-term unemployed.
St Luke's Sydney branch was established.
2004: St Luke's Nursing Service, with more than 500 staff and volunteers providing services in Qld & NSW, celebrated its centenary.
2005: The Anglican Diocese of Brisbane established five new Commissions (or departments) responsible for different areas of its work – Parishes & Other Missions, Community Services, Schools, Diocesan Services and Ministry Education. The Anglican Community Services Commission (ACSC), incorporated Anglican Care of the Aged (ACOTA), Anglicare (Southern Queensland) and St Luke's Nursing Service.
2006: All three organisations became known as Spiritus, with over 2,000 staff and volunteers serving the community from sixty different locations around Queensland.
2007-2008: Sydney branch was transferred to another service provider. All Spiritus services were then within Queensland.
New Executive Director Mr Don Luke joined Spiritus and Mr Rob Law became the new Chairman of the Anglican.
Community Services Commission. Rev'd Rod MacDonald became Spiritus Director of Mission and began expansion of pastoral care network across the organisation
2009: Spiritus Beenleigh Youth Accommodation and Support Service changed its name to Spiritus Youth Services.
2010: Anglican Refugee & Migrant Services (ARMS) celebrated its 10th birthday. Logan Branch opened new premises in Meadowbrook. Spiritus Community Care and Spiritus Aged Care merged to form Community and Aged Care. Spiritus Mission expanded with Rev'd. Linda McWilliam appointed Coordinating Chaplain
2011: Della Warren became Spiritus Executive Officer.
New Spiritus Social Services Hub opened in Buranda, providing a central Brisbane location for Counselling and Education Services (including Kinections), ARMS Literacy Centre and Homework Program, TRACC Foster Care (South), Positive Directions, Child Protection and Youth Services and Homelessness Services for Women and Children.
Symes Thorpe Aged Care Home in Toowoomba celebrated its 50th anniversary and opened new accommodation.
2012: Spiritus changed its name to Anglicare Southern Queensland, to better describe the nature of the organisation and better reflect its role in the community and as a part of Anglicare Australia.
- First Anglicare Health & Wellness Centre opened in Strathpine, featuring a wound clinic for Pine Rivers clients.
- First Anglicare Southern Queensland annual report was released and included inspirational client stories, achievements and financials for the 2011/2012 financial year.
- Metro South Cleveland office official opened on 13th July
- Nalingu facility celebrated the completion of renovations on 21st August
- Local Services Expo was held in Longreach 4th September.
- Greenslopes office was farewelled 13th September
- St John's Home for Aged Men celebrated 80 years of caring at the same site in Toowong on 9 November.
- Aged care home, Symes Grove, at Taigum commemorated 50 years of care on 20 November.
– Metro South office officially was opened in February, and became HQ for the Quality, Learning & Workforce Development team. 2013
- Toowoomba Community and Rural & Remote Community was awarded host provider status as part of the Your Life Your Choice program.